JESUS IS PRAYING FOR YOU (OUR ADVOCATE)
“My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world” (1 John 2:1-2).
Have you ever needed an Advocate, someone who speaks on your behalf for your benefit? Maybe a friend, family member, or coworker has spoken for you in your defense. Maybe someone opened a door of opportunity for you by speaking up for you? Or maybe you have felt helpless, discredited, or alone, wishing someone would speak for you and plead your case. As Jesus prayed in John 17, he assumed his rightful role as our Advocate. He is in your corner!
“I am praying not only for these disciples but also for all who will ever believe in me through their message. I pray that they will all be one, just as you and I are one—as you are in me, Father, and I am in you. And may they be in us so that the world will believe you sent me.
I have given them the glory you gave me, so they may be one as we are one. I am in them and you are in me. May they experience such perfect unity that the world will know that you sent me and that you love them as much as you love me. Father, I want these whom you have given me to be with me where I am. Then they can see all the glory you gave me because you loved me even before the world began!” (John 17:20-24)
The last evening before he was arrested and crucified, Jesus prayed for us. When we are at a loss for what to pray, we can borrow the prayers of Jesus, our Advocate. Jesus is already praying his perfect will for us: to know him increasingly, and for the world to know him through us.
In John 16, Jesus also names his Spirit as the Advocate, sometimes translated “Comforter.” In Romans 8:26-27, the Apostle Paul explained that the Holy Spirit is praying for us when we don’t know what to pray, all while working all things for God’s good, glorious purpose in and through us.
The truth that Jesus and his Holy Spirit speak for us is amazing, comforting news! Every word that Jesus speaks will be fulfilled, from “Let there be light” (Genesis 1:3) to “Yes, I am coming soon” (Revelation 22:20). While we may still be watching them unfold, his prayers for you are coming to fruition. His will will be accomplished. His word is trustworthy and true. His prayers for us and on our behalf are nothing less.
You are not alone, and the most powerful being in the universe speaks for you, opening doors and creating the pathways. He is defending you and in your corner when you mess up. When your enemy accuses, Jesus always defends you.
QUESTIONS FOR CONTEMPLATION
- Explore the role of an Advocate. Why do you think Jesus would assume this role?
- If Jesus is Our Advocate, promising to pray for us, what is the benefit of praying with Jesus? Does the idea of praying with Jesus change your perspective on your prayers?
- As followers of Jesus, we are invited to become like him as an Advocate, speaking up for others with diminished or disregarded voices. How does following Jesus’ role as an Advocate shape your prayer life? Your relationships? Your role in your community?
- Thank Jesus for his role as Our Advocate, forever speaking up for us and for our benefit
- Pray for those without a voice to speak for themselves
- Pray with Jesus for his will in your heart and your life, that he would be made known more and more